Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Run #7: Bolivar House, Bookstore, Braun Music Center, Brick Barn, Cantor Arts Center

We've made it to the C's.  No more B's!

Yesterday we started at the Bolivar House, which is, I'm pretty sure, the closest building to our Wilbur Field starting point.  Ira's pedometer watch gismo makes him walk about five minutes before it is ready to track our run, and we actually walked beyond this house and had to run back.  We were at our destination after 0.06 miles, which I think will be the record.  It's a pretty house, though.

Next we went to the Bookstore, which is pretty close by.  We obviously knew this location well, but we noted that it has a number on it.  We had a brief discussion of what street it is actually on, and what would happen if you tried to mail something to "Bookstore, Stanford, Ca".  It would probably get there, wouldn't it?  Weird to think that most buildings have both a name and an address.  Maybe that's why the post office was always so slow.

Nearby is the Braun Music Center, which we actually ran through to get to the Bookstore.  I've probably run by this building hundreds of times, but I can't remember if I've ever actually been inside.  That probably tells you a lot about my musical abilities.



At this point, we had probably run about half a mile.  Ira made a mistake last run by pointing out that we normally run our first mile much too slowly, so the pace on this run was pretty darn fast.  Four miles, with the slowest one around 8:12, I think, and the final fastest one around 7:00.  We had to cut out the in-depth, deep philosophical discussions we usually have.

Next was a run all the way across campus to the Brick Barn.  I'd never been there before, but I knew it was way out by the equestrian area near the golf course.  We'll be returning later for a few other buildings, most notably the pretty Red Barn.  We couldn't actually find a sign that said "Brick Barn", but it was a barn made of bricks on the correct spot, so we're taking credit for it.

At this point I thought we should head back to Wilbur Field, but Ira calculated that it would make the run distance less than three miles, so we headed over to the Cantor Arts Center.  The highlight along the way was the fountain by the Gates building actually flowing with water, since most of the fountains are inactive due to the drought.  This museum is pretty great, and it is free.  A great way to spend a rainy day, if we ever have a rainy day again due to the drought.


Overall, a pretty good run that ended up longer and faster than I expected.  I was definitely tired.

Distance: 4.2 miles (total distance 35.0 miles)

3 comments:

  1. FTPG: For the record, I have a GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 220). It does take some time to sync with a satellite some times, especially if I'm not standing still. However, I've been in the habit of walking for 5 min. as a warm up for several year, something I picked up from another running buddy, Cliff Goldmacher many years ago via his trainer who I worked with briefly in New York. KMo has heard me share that story a few times, but I think he only listens to about 65% of what I say when we run, so that's probably why he conflated these two things into one amalgam of a story. (Can't blame him for only listening to 65% of what I say. He's surely generous in being that attentive!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought, although I think Ira himself combines those two facts in his mind. I know I've heard him say "I have to walk for five minutes to get my watch ready." And it seems like we never start until it makes a little chirping noise.

    ReplyDelete