Sunday, October 19, 2014

Run #29: Sequoia, Serra, Skilling, SOM Loading Dock, Spilker Engineering and Applied Sciences, Spruce Hall, Stanford Athletics Shop

We had a nice Sunday afternoon run with our special guest star, our friend Dean!  He drove all the way from the East Bay to join us on today's run, since he is a faithful blog reader and wanted to experience it in person.

We began the run with Dean telling a story.  I won't repeat the story here, but it met all the criteria of great "running story":  funny, we'd never heard it before, relevant to the map, and long enough to chew up over a mile of running.  Great job, Dean!  Our first stop was Sequoia, which is a building near the Math Corner that houses the Statistics department.  I just looked up Sequoia Hall, and it has its own Wikipedia Page, with quite a history.  Apparently the building we touched today is "Sequoia Hall, Part II, the Sequel."  I should also mention that I thought the word "sequoia" is the shortest word in the English language that contains all five vowels, but it turns out that the word "Euonia" means "alertness of mind."  I'm not sure that should count: who has ever heard of that word?

Next we ran up to the Faculty Club for Serra (589 Capistrano Way).  We're not quite sure why this building gets an address in parentheses, but there it is.  This is a cute cottage that hosts the Institute for Gender Research.  There was a name on the building, and Ira made a snide comment about why it wasn't named for that person on the map.

We then ran back to the engineering side of the quad for Skilling, which is where I took my first computer science class.  Oh, the memories.  Here's something else to mention about this leg of the run: I've noticed that whenever there is a third person on the run, Ira and the other person enjoy poking fun at me.  It is all good natured: KMo is setting too fast a pace, KMo is getting us lost, KMo is taking us the long way, or KMo sometimes runs into me and injures me.  OK, that last one did sort of happen once, and Ira and Dean were enjoying talking about that on the way to Skilling when, ha ha, Dean ran into Ira.  Karma, baby!

Our next stop deserves a bit of a rant for the map-maker: the SOM Loading Dock.  First, I'm not sure it is that obvious that "SOM" stands for "School of Medicine", especially since the Medical School itself is listed under the M's under "Medicine, School of."  I think listing this place under the S's is very questionable.  Also, there really isn't even a permanent sign.

We moved along back to the new SEQ ("Science and Engineering Quad", just to show that you should explain your three letter acronyms) for the Spilker Engineering and Applied Sciences building.  We've run by this a million times, but I don't think either Ira or I actually knew what the building was called.  I bet you're wondering about who Spilker is, aren't you?  Well, he helped invent GPS, and this webpage tells you everything you want to know.

At long last, we've completed visiting all the buildings in the "Tree Quad", when we went to Spruce Hall today.  I've run out of comments about how unremarkable these buildings are, so I'll just move on.

We headed across the Serra Mall between the Oval and the Quad, weaved by Frost Auditorium, and ended up at the Stanford Athletics Shop, which is next to the track.  I once tried looking for running shorts here, but I thought everything was a bit too expensive.  They had a lot of cool jerseys and hoodies, but I guess I'm not really their target audience.  I have two Stanford sweatshirts, and today I was wearing a t-shirt from Rinc-a-Delt in 1994, my senior year.  It used to be a big concert party at Frost, and we hosted the band "They Might Be Giants", known for their song "Istanbul Not Constantinople."  I think it is funny that I wore a t-shirt that is twenty years old.  It must have been really, really well made.

We ran back to Wilbur Field, and Dean didn't realize that we always start and end at the same spot.  Yup, that's part of the rules we invented.

Distance: 4.97 miles, which I'll round down to 4.9 (up to 150.2 total)

We're in a stretch of the S's where a lot of buildings, not surprising, begin with the word "Stanford".  I think that will be all of tomorrow's run.  S is the most popular letter, for that reason.

Good job Dean!

No comments:

Post a Comment