Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Run #31: Stanford Daily, Stanford Dining, Hospitality, & Auxiliaries, Stanford Hospital, Stanford Humanities Center

We're back, baby!

I guess I need to explain our hiatus for the last two weeks or so.  First, Ira was very, very busy a few weeks ago, planning and hosting a family Bat Mitzvah.  It was tough to find time to run when family was flying in from all over, and, oh yeah, he still had a job that it would probably take three ordinary men to do.

We did manage to run once last week, after the Bat Mitzvah, but Ira has this other goofy rule that he has to run to the Stanford Dish once every month.  He's been keeping this up for several years, although it is sort of lost to the dustbin of history how many.  Well, it has been harder to squeeze in these Dish runs during our alphabetical adventure, and he was approaching the end of October.  So, we ran to the Dish.

Then, I sort of got hurt.  My left knee was killing me.  I'd wake up and I'd have a huge limp.  This went on for several days, and there was no way I could run on it.  We planned to run last Friday and I had to cancel.  Then, we planned to run on the weekend and I had to cancel.  For a few days, I thought I had really injured myself, and might have to abandon my quest.  Then, I started using a foam roller a few times a day.  The first time: Yowza! it hurt like heck.  Then, it gradually got better each day, and yesterday I was able to run.  It wasn't perfect, and we didn't run as far as normal, but I think I'll be able to continue the journey.

Our first building was the Stanford Daily, which is sort of behind Old Union.  We knew exactly where we were going, although we struggled to find a sign.  Eventually, we did find a sign that said the "Lorry Lokey Stanford Daily Building."  We laughed about how Dean taught us that we were mispronouncing "Lokey" while simaltaneously being impressed that Mr. Lokey had an interest in journalism.  The Stanford Daily is a pretty darn good college newspaper, all things considered.

Next we ran to the Stanford Dining, Hospitality, & Auxiliaries building.  It is a nondescript office building down Serra Road, near the Stanford Auxiliary Library.   Not much to say about this one.

Then, we ran across campus to the Stanford Hospital.  We'd obviously been to parts of the hospital over and over again, but this time we had to go to "THE" Stanford Hospital.  This kind of reminded me of how NFL players always say "THE Ohio State University" when they are introduced before the game.  We decided to touch the front door, or what most people would consider the front door.  (Architectural note: Do you think Stanford is now regretting basing the entire hospital design on that lattice pattern?  Did it seem like a good idea in a meeting, but seems a bit overwhelming when it is replicated thousands of times?  Has anyone suggested getting rid of this pattern?  Doesn't it remind you of the 1970's?)
We headed home, but we decided to hit up one more spot: the Stanford Humanities Center near Tressider.  When we were students, this was the Alumni Center before it moved to the grandiose new building.  They were having a little reception in the lobby, and I was hungry by now.

Distance: 4.2 miles, not bad for the first run on a bad knee.  158.8 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment